18th century gardens
The Baroque-scale of the ‘forest garden’ at Cirencester Park is in marked contrast to the Rococo intimacy of the walks and buildings that cluster beneath Painswick House near Gloucester.
Between them these two sites capture some of the variety of gardens from the first half of 18th century.
Cirencester Park was created by a triumvirate: Lord Bathurst as owner, Stephen Switzer as designer and garden writer, and Alexander Pope as poet, gardener and recurrent house guest.
Painswick’s origins are less clear until the local fan painter Thomas Robins the Elder (1716-1770) painted them in minute detail in the 1740s and 50s.
Today the public can enjoy both with open access to some of Cirencester Park’s geometric avenues and the ground-breaking restoration at Painswick.